There are two types of energy sources - renewable (sun, wind, water) and non-renewable energy sources (fossil fuels, wood, electricity, etc.).
What is the Importance of Energy Conservation?
- Energy conservation helps to reduce the energy demand.
- It reduces environmental pollution.
- It saves a lot of money.
- It prevents the destruction of natural habitats.
- It prevents climate change and the greenhouse effect.
- Energy conservation enhances the quality of life.
What are the Methods of Energy Conservation?
Some of the methods to reduce energy consumption are:
- Replacement of incandescent bulbs with CFL bulbs.
- Switching off lights and fans when not in use.
- Keeping electric appliances clean and dirt-free.
- Choosing energy-efficient electric appliances.
- Installing electronic chokes for tube lights.
- Painting indoor walls with light colors reflects the heat and is best for maximizing energy efficiency.
- Installing energy-efficient windows to ensure proper ventilation.
- Planting shade trees around your home.
- Install motion detectors to turn lights on and off automatically.
- Minimizing the use of air-conditioners.
- Switching off electronic devices when not in use.
- Using stairs instead of lifts.
- Keeping the vehicle engine well-tuned and maintain proper tire pressure.
- Educating people about energy conservation.
- Making government policies to reduce the demand.
- Making maximum use of daylight.
- Switching to alternative energy like biogas, solar energy, hydel energy, and wind energy.