Vehicle Recycling

What is Vehicle Recycling?

Vehicle recycling is the disassembling of vehicles for spare parts that can be reused. It is done for vehicles that have come to the end of their useful life. The components recovered from recycling can be used as spares for other motors or for making completely new products.

Vehicle Recycling Process

The process of vehicle recycling is divided into three areas, namely working components, recoverable components, and unrecoverable components. Firstly, the batteries and tires are removed from the vehicle. Then any hazardous materials and fluids like engine oil and transmission fluid are drained and removed along with pyrotechnic devices like airbags. The remaining parts are further ripped to recover glass and plastic materials.

The shell of the vehicle is crushed and transported to industrial shredders, where it is reduced to small chunks of metal. The ferrous and non-ferrous metals are extracted after shredding to be recycled and reused for other purposes.

The final residue does not have any reusable materials and is disposed into a landfill. More than 75% of the vehicle parts can be reused, leaving only 25% waste material for disposal.

Benefits of Vehicle Recycling

  • Recycling metals like steel saves energy, preserves iron ores, and prevents air pollution as a by-product of refining steel.
  • Reduces the amount of waste in landfills.
  • Recycling parts like tires prevents ground and water contamination as they do not decompose quickly.
  • Other materials like mercury in anti-lock brakes, lead in wheel weights, and gasoline can adversely affect the environment if not recycled properly.
Start Here