Dr. Chahine's work focuses on building tools to characterize and promote social and environmental health determinants. At Harvard University, she established the first social entrepreneurship program in the field of public health.
She also founded Lebanon's first venture philanthropy organization, which provides specialized finance and key managerial support to social companies that serve underprivileged communities through education and employment development for adolescents and women.
Enjoy the interview!
You can see the transcript of this episode here.
Links From the Episode
- Connect with Teresa Chahine:
- Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship - Teresa's book | Facebook group for the book
- Impact & Innovation - Teresa's podcast
- Alfanar - Teresa's venture philanthropy organization
- Yale School of Management | Program on Social Enterprise
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health | Social Entrepreneurship and Health and the Environment course
- Harvard Business School
- Harvard Medical School
- Instituto Cervantes in Beirut
- Ministry of Social Affairs (Lebanon)
- Ashoka: Innovators for the Public | Bill Drayton
- United Nations
- What is Teresa doing? What is her background? [1:15]
- What's the premise behind her book "Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship"? [6:08]
- What's the difference between entrepreneurs, intrepreneurs and extrapreneurs? What is the most important characteristic of social change? [10:04]
- How did Teresa start her program at Harvard? [11:27]
- What are the four levels of impact? [15:26]
- What did Teresa struggle with when she moved to the academic environment and how did she overcome it? [18:51]
- How can anyone use their existing position to have an impact? [20:02]
- How do we measure impact? [27:00]
- How can we spread awareness about a certain problem (for example, plastic waste) and actually solve the root issue? [30:10]
- How has Teresa's life changed since she started down this path? [36:05]
- What are the most important things people need to start making a change? Do they need anything else to begin? [39:01]
- How can people connect with Teresa? [44:29]